CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Nominations for all greyhounds (including exempted runners) must be received by Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) by 10:00am on TUESDAY 13 November 2017.*** There is NO OFFICIAL NOMINATION FORM *** Nominations can ONLY be accepted by Greyhound Racing Victoria by phone (03) 8329 1111 or 1800 138 507 country calls) or on-line at www.grv.org.au. The Nominator must advise Greyhound Racing Victoria that their nomination is for the Melbourne Cup.
INTERSTATE ENTRIES PLEASE NOTE: GRV recommends that all interstate greyhounds that are racing in Victoria for the first time are nominated early. This is to ensure that there is sufficient time to validate trainer and owner details prior to the close of nominations.
The greyhounds that win the following races OR compete in the final of the 2017 Irish Derby or the 2017 English Derby will gain automatic exemption into the EIGHT HEATS of the Melbourne Cup to be held on FRIDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2017. If the number of exempt runners exceeds 64, the reserves for the EIGHT HEATS will be allocated at the grader’s discretion. If the number of exempt runners exceeds 80, balloted runners will be determined at the grader’s discretion.
Any nominated greyhound that is not automatically exempted under these conditions will ONLY be eligible for any remaining positions in the eight heats (plus reserves) by having competed (regardless of finishing position) in at least ONE Melbourne Cup Prelude Series during 2017. These remaining positions will be allocated strictly at the discretion of the grader.
In summary, greyhounds that win any of the exempted races, or compete in the final of the 2017 Irish Derby or the 2017 English Derby, gain automatic exemption for the EIGHT HEATS to be conducted on 17 November 2017, subject to available places. OTHERWISE, only nominated greyhounds that have competed in at least ONE of the Prelude Series (listed below) during 2017 will be eligible for selection for any remaining positions in the eight heats (plus reserves), at the grader’s discretion.
Series 1 Thursday 28 September 2017
Series 2 Thursday 12 October 2017
Series 3 Thursday 26 October 2017
Series 4 Thursday 9 November 2017
Greyhounds may compete in any number of Preludes to enhance selection chances.
The Selection Committee, which includes the Greyhound Racing Victoria Chief Grader and a representative from Sandown Greyhound Racing Club, will consider performance in Preludes, current form and racing status as criteria for selection in the Heats.
Composition of the heats will be subject to the top 25% of nominated greyhounds being seeded and distributed evenly amongst the heats, with the remaining 75% of greyhounds being drawn randomly into the heats. Guarding of owners and trainers in heats will apply where possible.
The connections agree to the use of their greyhounds name and photograph for promotional and/or advertising purposes by SGRC, or any firm, business or organisation approved by SGRC, arising from it competing in the 2017 Melbourne Cup series.
SGRC and GRV reserves the right to alter and/or add to these conditions. The final field for the 2017 Melbourne Cup final shall be determined in accordance with Greyhound Racing Victoria Rules and the Greyhounds Australasia Rules.